Saturday, March 12, 2011

Dancefloor Magic Vol. 17

I am finally fully appreciating Saturdays ...Half day today, and I'm ready to take on the world. Boom!

I had trouble tracking this down. I knew it was the Source remix of You've Got The Love by Candi Staton but it's not that simple. I knew what it sounded like but it took ages to figure out which one it is. On top of the confusion and conflicting reports of what's what on the internet, the backround to song itself and subsequent mixes and covers is baffling. The Guardian summed it up well last year but I think I've managed to sum it up.

The song was written by Anthony B. Stephens, Arnecia Michelle Harris and John Bellamy. It was recorded by Candi Staton a-capella for a docuementary about a fat man losing weight. In 1986 it was remixed and released by The Source. In 1991 it was remixed by DJ Eren, sampling the Frankie Knuckles and Jamie Principle house classic Your Love. In 1997 the New Voyager remix of The Source version was released, and re-released again in 2006. This is the one you'll often hear on the radio. Then in 2009 it was recorded by Florence and the Machine and became a massive single. Finally (for now), The xx released a downtempo, dubby remix Florence's version, again to fanfare around the blogosphere in particular. But anyway, it was the DJ Eren edit I was looking for ...and I found it. Here it is, a gem if ever there was one!


Candi Staton - You've Got The Love (DJ Erin's Bootleg Mix)

...and here are two more anthems to, I hope, get you in the mood for the old knees up tonight!


Fatboy Slim - Renegade Master (Fatboy Slim Old Skool Mix)


DJ Shadow - Six Days (Soulwax Remix)

No comments:

Post a Comment