Wednesday, January 27, 2010

No work for me today


I wandered about the charity shops in Galway today, didn't see much, then popped up for Bell, Book and Candle, a second hand records, books, CD's, DVD's shop with a lovely owner named Paul. I go up once a week to say hi and see what bargains I can pick up. I picked up a load of CD's for sweet F.A today, here are my finds.


From Dirty (1992) by Sonic Youth, a band I addmittedly know too little about, so, eh here goes
Sonic Youth - 100% Alt

I love Funeral by Arcade Fire, it's been on my laptop and iPod since it came out but every time I go to buy it it's so expensive, due to it's fancy-ish (i.e not plastic case) packaging. Now I have it. Sweet!
Arcade Fire - Wake Up Alt

Another album I've known and lovely for a long time but never actually got a physical copy of. Now I have one. On the subject, Billy Corgan! If you're reading this you owe me a good show! That Dublin gig was atrocious! There was nothing you could do about the shit apathetic teenagers that were there but c'mon, who the fuck were those tossers playing with you?! Patch up with James and Darcy, please!!
Smashing Pumpkins - Tales Of A Scorched Earth Alt

Creepy, creepy E.P cover for Aphex Twin's Come To Daddy (1997), mad bastard, but sure they all are down in Limerick, at least he's making spooky music, as opposed to shooting people.
Aphex Twin - Come To Daddy (Pappy Mix) Alt

When I was a young teenager my rather religious parents became alarmed at the contents of the CD's I brought home, Slayer being the prime targets, what with God Hates Us All, Hell Awaits and all that, so I'd get mates to copy them and write something like Rory Gallagher on the CD, result! Finally got physical copies of Seasons In The Abyss and South Of Heaven (check out the video for Seasons ...late night Kerrang! TV gold!)
Slayer - Seasons In The Abyss Alt

And from South Of Heaven (1988)
Slayer - Live Undead Alt

And an album I stole by accident from a guy I was in a teenage band with but lost again, Harvest, by Neil Young
Neil Young - Old Man Alt

On top of that I got Slash's autobiography, ate scrambled eggs and feta cheese for breakfast while reading and had homemade soup for lunch made by my friend Yvonne while playing Mario Kart on SNES. Yvonne plays bass in a great Galway band called Disconnect 4, here's a tune from their debut E.P, Modern Love which came out this summer.

Disconnect 4 - Eighteen Alt

3 comments:

  1. I haven't been to Bell Book and Candle in months, I really ought to go back in the habit of going regularly, it's a lovely place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to got here all the time on my lunch break from St. Mary's, do they still have the bubble car inside the shop? I must pop in soon for some bargains, last time i was there i got the irst Josh Ritter album for €2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got Blue Monday on vinyl for a fiver! Yup, still have the wee car in there!

    ReplyDelete