Tuesday, April 12, 2011

new: Cashier no. 9, Titus Andronicus, Pharoahe Monch, Black Lips, ASIWYFA, The Knux, Bastardguise and TV On The Radio

I recently started a job working crazy hours and commuting far far away. I no longer have the time to post lengthy articles on how I feel about songs. I'm still listening to a lot of music, just now the results will be coming at you quick fast like a cheetah in the long grass. Happy listening.


Spin have compiled their list of 10 Must Haves for this Saturdays Record Store Day. Check out the full list of special releases and participating stores.


Cashier No. 9 I am sorry. I never gave you a chance. I feel like an ass. Barry Gruff has put me right. Their debut album Goldstar was produced by fellow Belfast native David Holmes and is out now.

Cashier No. 9 - Goldstar by snipelondon


The AV Club is a brilliant idea. 25 songs, 25 bands to cover them. They're on their second round of songs. A real treat if you've a few minutes to spare. This is a treat for me, one of my favourite bands of the past few years covering one of my favourite songs of all time. Here's the cover and the original. (I will say, if you're a fan of the song but not the band you may not like this!)


Titus Andronicus covers They Might Be Giants




The 405 have posted this as their mp3 of the day. It's rough as a bears arse, as they say. But delightful too of course.


The Beets - Dead


Soulful, organic sounding new hip-hop. Thanks Pharoahe Monch. W.A.R (We Are Renegades) is out now.

Pharoahe Monch "Black Hand Side" feat. Styles P & Phonte' by duckdown


New Black Lips tune. Been meaning to post it myself since it turned up on Awkward Sound a few days ago. It's got the classic Black Lips attitude. Arabia Sound is out June 7th and is produced by Mark Ronson of all people. Will reserve wild claims of greatest album since Pet Sounds til I actually hear it. In fact when it does come out ignore me for a week or two cos if it's in any way good I'll make outlandish and unsubstantiated claims. I just like 'em a lot is all (read same for ASIWYFA's Gangs and Civil Civics debut).

Black Lips - "Modern Art" by AwkwardSound




Got this one last week but so far listening to it involved skipping through a radio show to hear its debut. Now we have it in a neat little soundcloud package, thanks to The Line of Best Fit who debuted it yesterday. I'm feeling a little "creepy superfan" posting this music ASIWYFA but they just blow my mind and are continuing to do so in new ways all the time. This is indeed a beast. Gangs is out May 2nd.

And So I Watch You From Afar - BeautifulUniverseMasterchampion by TLOBF


Truly one of my favourite tracks of the year, it's a rockin', shuffletastic sing-along of spectacular proportions, it's She's So Up by The Knux! They've dropped the video so they have. And they're very cool. Met them briefly at Oxegen last year. Most definitely very cool.




A New Band A Day is right. A great band name is essential to getting anywhere. If it sounds vaguely witch-house/electro mashup/bitches&bling rap I'm gonna have an auto-bias. Sounds shitty but again, there's just way too much music out there. I feel like a dick even admitting it but a clever name appeals to my vanity in thinking that I'm a clever guy and would like to listen to clever people with clever people. Bastardguist then, a mesmerising listen.

Bastardgeist - Cabbageheads by brainlove


Treblezine have reported that TV On The Radio have released a full length film to accompany their excellent new album Nine Types of Light. Here it is. Don't watch it now, bookmark it first. Then have some dinner, get your chores done, then set an hour aside and watch it. That's my plan anyway.



Porductive evenings blogging then. Hope you got something new out of it. That's what it's here for. Now, finally getting around to watching Easy Rider.

No comments:

Post a Comment