Wednesday, June 8, 2011

new: Ungdomskulen, Glasser/Jamie xx (new to me), Ty Segall and Little Black Ant

Blogging? On a schoolnight? Good grief.

Last month Ungdomskulen released a mini LP of tracks, all under a minute long. If you're in London tomorrow night I'd recommend checking them out in The Shacklewell Arms near Dalston with the spectacular Civil Civic, who we may have mentioned once or twice before. I know people flying over from Ireland for this. It's gonna be a hoot 'n a half. See you there?

Elle by UNGDOMSKULEN

djnodj is one of my favourite blogs. Wisdom and poetry, great dance music and pictures of beautiful women and skateboarding. First listen to this earlier this evening, very good indeed.

Glasser / Tremel (Jamie xx remix) by Young Turks

Picked this up on Stereogum. I have a real soft spot for Ty Segall. He makes such joyful noise. Has garage/lo-fi/pop changed completely of late? Mark Ronson producing Black Lips. White Denim creating a multi genre masterpiece. Thee Oh Sees sounding like a haunted fairground. And this Beatles-in-a-filthy-pub sound from Ty Segall. I'm far from an authority on the subject but I quite like a lot of these bands, it's nice to see sounds developing. Goodbye Bread is out June 21st

Ty Segall - You Make the Sun Fry by One Thirty BPM

Hop skip and jump over to the, as-usual, excellent Real Horrorshow Tunes for some upbeat and soothing electronics. Little Black Ant is the act. Orchestral, danceable, smooth blips, beeps and beats. Excellent stuff. This is her latest release, with some remixes below. She'll be DJing the first ever London show by Christian AIDS too on June 30th according to RHT. Will have to check these Christian AIDS out, they sound like a jolly nice bunch. Will report back.

LBA - I'm happy to be sad by LittleBlackAnt

Disclosure - Carnival (Little Black Ant Remix) by TransparentRecs

Sun Glitters - Find Your Way (See) (LittleBlackAnt Remix) by LittleBlackAnt

If you like my writing but consider it brief, I've started writing reviews for the excellent State.ie. I've been reading State since its days as a print mag and am delighted to have gotten the chance to have my reviews posted to their site. Well worth a read, a really good team of brilliant writers involved. I've recently reviewed Black Lips, White Denim, The Indelicates, Battles and a cracking Summer Camp gig in London.

No comments:

Post a Comment