Monday, February 15, 2010

Tunes from last night's show!


I'd booked today off work to hang around with my lady, as I kinda missed Valentines day but I got a call to come fill in today, so from 12:45 it'll be three hours of me pretending to be excited about whatever top 30 hits are laid out in front of me! Such is 9 to 5 though, gotta get payed, cash dolla monies and junk like that. So here are a few of my favourites from last nights show.

Alex Metric, you fucking hero, you just made my summer, can't see myself or any other DJ I'd like to see not play that for the next few months. The tune itself, Gorillaz first single from Plastic Beach (March 3rd), features Mos Def and Bobby Womack, and is wonderful in itself but this remix is simply fucking ridiculous.

Gorillaz - Stylo (Alex Metric Remix) Alt Link

Japandroids will be releasing 5 singles, limited to 2000 compies on 7" at different stages of 2010, each with a cover as a B-Side, the B-Side on this one is Racer X by Big Black. Good stuff.

Japandroids - Art Czars Alt

Josh Ritter, hmmm. Is he Irish? Why do I assume he is? Am I confusing him with Fionn Regan? Why do I accept both of them, yet generally treat singer songwriters like the plague? i.e to be avoided at all costs as the spawn of Glen Hansard? Funnily enough Josh is supporting Swell Season at the moment but this tune is really good, it's the first single from So Runs The World Away which is out April 23rd, and he'll be played the Radisson Live Lounge as part of a Roisin Dubh presents gig here in Galway the following day (April 24th if you weren't paying attention)

Josh Ritter - Change Of Time Alt

All I know about Mose Allison is that Allison by the Pixies is about him, and on Live At Leeds by The Who, the band play Young Man Blues. Mose is an 83 year old jazz pianist who will soon be releasing The Way Of The World on Anti- records, home to the likes of N.A.S.A, Tom Waits and Os Mutantes.

Mose Allison - My Brain Alt

Kids of rockstars giving music a go is rarely a good idea. Untalented and spoiled spawn of has been musicians landing record deals and publicity before they've even picked up an instrument tends to be kryptonite to any music fan. In saying that the likes of Damian Marley and Norah Jones have done well with little begrudgery to the world of contacts and favours they were born into. I saw Sting's sons band support The Police a few years ago. Sickening level of nepotism. All that aside, his daughter Coco, going under I Blame Coco is pretty good. This Miike Snow remix is deadly!

I Blame Coco - Caesar ft. Robyn (Miike Snow Remix) Alt

2 comments:

  1. i love your blog. thanks for the great suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a bother Hana, thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete