Saturday, May 29, 2010

N-E-W, plus Galway Arts Festival


Quick new music roundup before I go drop some phat beats ...as they say. Do they still say that?

Galway Arts Festival (12-25th July) lineup was announced in full last night. Music wise it's not the worst, but there's very little I'd pay €30 or whatever for. I'm sure a lot of people will be excited but personally I'm not over the moon. You can have a browse through the lineup here. The highlights would be Human League/Heaven 17 (although I only know one tune by each), Rodrigo Y Gabriela (definitely worth a look), Divine Comedy (again, worth a look but if I'm strapped for cash wouldn't be gutted to miss), Josh Ritter/Damo Dempsey/Cathy Davey (if I got a free ticket), Adrian Crowley, Breakestra (a new one for me, will definitely stick my head in) and finally Teenage Fanclub (again, a new-ish one but will have gotten though the back catalogue by the gig, I love what I've heard so far)

Of course I'm judging this years lineup on last years where Candi Staton, Booker T, Primal Scream, Bon Iver, Femi Kuti and shitloads more came up and apparently there'll be loads more gigs about the town that week anyway.

Anyway, new Teenage Fanclub album (Shadows) is out. I'm having a listen to it as we speak. Pretty tasty so far. This is a lovely song.

Teenage Fanclub - Dark Clouds Alt

In other music related business, one of my favourite bands about, Blitzen Trapper, are about to release a new album. It'll be called Destroyer Of The Void, set to be released June 8th. They'll be touring the U.S until mid August, tour dates on their myspace, so fingers crossed they'll be back in the Roisin or the Picnic at least. So for the moment have a listen and hang tight for the album, on first listen it's very 70's American rock, and in no way do I mean that as a bad thing. I can imagine chilling with a beer watching the sun go down down over the city to this one in the evening's over the summer.

Blitzen Trapper - Sadie Alt

Finally, I know sweet shit all about this band but going on what I've heard I dig em! Getting a tasty groove out of this tune at least.

What Cheer? Brigade - Malaguena Alt

Have a lovely evening wherever you may be and I'll be back tomorrow night after the radio show (4:50-8:50, i102104.ie, all new music) with the tracklist.

No comments:

Post a Comment