Saturday, November 20, 2010

Dancefloor Magic vol. 6 ...a remix appreciation post

You may have noticed I can be very conservative when it comes to dance music. I can't hack trance, need to be in a forest at 4 a.m to enjoy most techno and I find the "electro" that's come out over the past few years completely devoid of any sort of music at all. I walked into The Subs gig at a festival, got scared and walked out. Music for zombies in neon shades.

With the upsurge in "electro" came the upsurge of electro remixes or perfectly good songs, driving any sort of fun and enjoyment out of them. I recently heard a remix of Little Secrets by Passion Pit in a London club and honestly and thought it was the worst thing I'd ever heard. Lots of glitchy noises. Awful shite. I use Hype Machine a lot, its a great service but the top 100 section is a breeding ground for horrendous crunk/mashup/electro/dubstep pieces of work. Each to their own of course but I think life is too short to be anywhere where this sort of music is playing.

But on the other hand I've learned to trust certain remixers. Here are a few that make my heart jump when I hear they've done something new. These are all well known remixes, but I'd been meaning to write something like this for a while so here goes ...

Dubstep. From crusty hippies at the world's skaggiest party to mainstream pop scouring the depths of sonic science to create the most unlistenable shite the world has ever heard. I don't like garage, the beat gets on my nerves, so the progression to dubstep was lost on me. From the drum n' bass side of things, dnb was always a fun thing to dance to, but as regards killing some beats and turning the bass up, it was lost on me. I've enjoyed some of what I've heard, and I can't fault it musically but it's never been my bag. Bassnectar however has nailed it! Taking dubstep and packing it full of energy and fun.

The Pixies - Where Is My Mind? (Bassnectar Remix) Alt

Alex Metric took one of my favourite tracks of the year in Gorillaz' Stylo and created a monster with his remix. When I heard this beauty I was sold. He's got the right idea!

Beastie Boys - Sabotage (Alex Metric Remix) Alt

I've blogged about The Knocks before, they've had some stellar singles and remixed the hell out of a few tracks that I've really liked. I love Passion Pit but this remix replaced the original in my sets. I had to burn of a few CDR's of it cos I kept giving them away to people asking about it.

Passion Pit - Sleepyhead (The Knocks Remix) Alt

P.S, photo not mine, I nicked it off The Pirate's Dilemma.

facebook twitter

1 comment:

  1. hey do you use templates or do you write the code for your tumblr id like to start a music blog as well...anything would help, email me ?ecksoe@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete