Tuesday, April 27, 2010

N-E-W (Holy Fuck, The Fall, Devo)


I'll be getting to Day Three of 30 Days Of Music later, but right now I have some new shit to throw down. I know very little of Post-Punk music. A lot of what I've heard I like. I've started reading Rip It Up And Start Again: Postpunk 1978-1984. It's really good, getting through the well know bands like Joy Division, PiL and Talking Heads, as well as some really obscure and pretty much forgotten bands and scenes. More music for me. All good. My reason for bringing this up? New album from The Fall (John Peel's favourite band) and new single from Devo. So where to start?

Well before we go there, gonna post tune from the cracking new Holy Fuck album. A really fucking awesome band, with a new album, Latin, out May 11th. I posted about them last week so I won't go overboard but shit me, this frantic beast of a song is just what I needed to wake me up. Coffee helped too but Holy Fuck, good alarm clock!

Holy Fuck - Stilettos Alt

Now to the old lads. The Fall are one of these bands that are critically acclaimed, well referenced, with a bizillion albums. But I know shit all about them. It's funny getting a first impression from a band when they should be well past their prime, but funnily enough, this album is pretty fricking good! They've been on my to listen to list for a while, given that John Peel, a bit of a hero of mine, record 24 sessions with them and as I mentioned above called them his favourite band, I really should get on that. Well the new album is called Your Future Our Clutter. It's dark at times, often poppy and head bopping, with some great garage-y guitar tones and drawn out shouty vocals. It's all good and well worth a listen.

The Fall - O.F.Y.C Showcase Alt

Devo. Same story with The Fall. Heard their new stuff, love it, but have no frame of reference as I'm not familiar with them, despite hearing loads about them. Too much music and not enough hours in the day I guess. Come back to me in a few years, I'll know all the bands that ever made music ever so I will. Anyway, Devo, another classic and loved post-punk band. But while The Fall (Or Mark E. Smith at least) kept going, Devo's last album came out in 1990. Since then they've done some soundtrack work here and there with the odd release. Mark Mothersbaugh has certainly been a busy bunny, scoring music for games like Crash Bandicoot and The Sims, soundtracks for films like Drop Dead Gorgeous (love that movie), The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou and Happy Gilmore and appearing on hilarious kids TV show Yo Gabba Gabba!! teaching a new drawing every week. Well this is the second single from their upcoming (June 15th) release, Something For Everybody. I think it's the business!

Devo - What We Do Alt

No comments:

Post a Comment