Sunday, April 25, 2010

TDOM: Day 1 - My Favourite Song


Day 1.

My favourite song.

Fucking hell. My favourite song? Out of the hundreds of thousands of songs I've ever loved? Out of every good memory associated with all of the music I've consumed, danced to, felt a connection with for whatever reason?

I suppose this song. I don't know why though.

Maybe it's cos it sounds nothing like what I'd usually listen to, so I don't associate it with anything else. It just sits on it's own. Or maybe it's a deep seeded nationalism. Maybe I associate with going on the piss. Maybe this indie shite isn't for me. Should I up on out of here, pop on me tweed cap and jig on down to Tigh Coili for a scatter of pints of stout and a good oul ceili in the corner. Dunno. Funnily enough I was sitting outside Tigh Coili (Galway trad pub) one afternoon and I heard this almighty sound: kkkkkkkkksssssssssssssrrrrrrrrssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhh ...the sound of a drunk laughing through few remaining teeth. And sure wasn't it only himself Shane McGowan out for a few scoops. Wow I'm rambling. For the moment this is my favourite song. For no other reason that I can fathom other than it makes me happy every time I hear it.

The Pogues - If I Should Fall From Grace With God Alt

I had the fortune of seeing The Pogues just before Christmas. It's funny that Bob Dylan, who's healthy and sober can use being old as an excuse for shitty performances but McGowan who's been permanently drunk since he was 11 still performs 2 and a half hour shows, two encores and his voice still solid. His crowd banter is still completely incomprehensible but at least he talks to the crowd. Kkkkkkkkrrrrrrrrrrrrrssssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you got lucky with McGowan so! Went to see him down here in UL and he was in no mood for performing...spilled a bottle of wine all over himself and butchered Rainy Night in Soho before having to be carried off stage....pity, as I'm fond of a bit of Rum Sodomy and the Lash myself. Oh well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reckon I did! It was over Christmas, he seems to have cleaned up his act a LITTLE bit, enough to perform which is nice. That's a pity, suppose that's the risk the the MacGowan! kkkkkkkrrrrrrrrrsssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

    ReplyDelete