Wednesday, February 16, 2011

N-E-W: Bing Ji Ling, Tommy Guerrero & Asobi Seksu

Bing Ji Ling aka Luke Quinn is a member of the excellent Phenomenal Handclap Band. His new album, Shadow To Shine is out March 21st. This is a cracking soul tune.

Funnily enough Luke plays in Tommy Geurrero's band. I hadn't heard about Tommy since my skateboarding days years ago, then yesterday I downloaded his new album, and now I come across this guy who's in his band. When it rains, it pours I suppose.

Bing Ji Ling - Move On (Stream)






So Tommy's new album. Well it has lots of instruments in it. It's jazzy, funky and fun. I'm not in a position to describe this kind of music or compare it to anyone else, but I'm glad I checked it out. It's going to be blasting out the speakers here in Pop Goes HQ for the foreseeable future.

Here's a video of Tommy's skating. I miss skating sometimes but growing up in a cold, wet country it's a tough pastime to maintain enthusiasm for.



And here's a short little day in the life kind of video. He seems like he's having fun. It's a nice little pick me up to watch and an inspiration that growing up doesn't have to be shit, you just need to figure out a way to make a living out of doing what you love.


Syndicate - Tommy Guerrero from Off The Wall TV on Vimeo.

Tommy Guerrero - Que S-est Il-Passe



I listened to the new Asobi Seksu album last night. Apart from a noodly psychadelic dip in the middle it's a delight of pounding alt-rock energy, soaring vocals and warm electronic sounds. Flourescence is out now. This single Trails has been doing the rounds for a while, but it's a good indicator of the albums sound.

Asobi Seksu - Trails by flogase

No comments:

Post a Comment