Sunday, February 13, 2011

Calling London # 7 with Real Horrorshow Tunes



Real Horrorshow Tunes is a blog run by Nathan, and written for by Lewi, Rose and Matt. They like their music. They know their music. And they write well about it. Best thing you can do is head straight over there after you read this, I guarantee you'll find something good. 

For example, I've just heard the best British hip-hop I've heard in years. Ghostpoet aka Obaro Ejimiwe is a rapper from Coventry who released his debut E.P last year on Gilles Peterson's Brownswood label. The E.P is down below, downloadable for free, and here is a track from his recently released debut album Peanut Butter Blues and Melancholy Jams. 


So there you have it, musically, ever so on the ball. So Nathan, editor of this blog has sent on his London recommendations ...

-Favourite Venue?

I've only actually lived in London since September 2010, so I haven't been to loads of venues yet. But I really liked The Scala, when I saw Titus Andronicus and most of all so far, KOKO in Camden, I went there for Dirty Projectors and I'm going back this weekend for the Gilles Peterson Awards. 

-Clubs and Clubnights, where to go dancing?

I'm in Kingston, and New Slang is a really good clubnight at the Hippodrome there, they have bands on every week, which are normally quite good, I saw Neville Staple from The Specials there last year, but the club itself goes on after until 3 in the morning, sometimes with three different rooms, it's a good laugh

-Best London bands/artists right now?

My favourite band from last year was Male Bonding, they have one hell of a live show and the album is amazing. Right now, I'm really into James Blake, who is outstanding, when his album is released, he's going to be massive. He's performing at KOKO for the Gilles Peterson Awards, I'm understandably quite excited.

-Best thing about music in London?

The best thing is that being in London, acts ALWAYS play a London show, they'd be stupid not too, so when bands come from abroad or do national tours, you're not going to miss out.  

-Any downsides?

Yeah, when tickets sell out 

-Recommend a record store:

Rough Trade, I love their tiny West store in Portobello, it's real nice and they're always playing good music in the store, I heard of Gaslamp Killer through them, and I was convinced to get the Roots Manuva/Wrong Tom collaboration album just by stepping in the door. 

-Where's best to find out what's going on?

Definitely, Londonears. It's a really good and concise gig listing of the best stuff going on, it kind of caters for a particular crowd, but I really recommend it. 


...So there you go. Take recommendations from this and Horrorshow Tunes to your list of regular reads! 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment