Monday, February 14, 2011

N-E-W: The Knux, Elbow


The other day I wrote about New York band Hunters and how I'm afraid people might bypass their tunes as they're being hailed as some sort of Nu-Grunge. Whatever about the bad name grunge earned after its heyday, rap-rock has always been a murky musical soup, with the few notable exceptions drowning in a world of the worst kind of music known to man, woman and child.

But again, I feel I need to say (as much for myself and anyone else) that rap rock needn't mean Fred Durst, it could be Anthrax & Public Enemy, Run DMC & Aerosmith, Beastie Boys, Faith No More ...in fact, check out the Judgement Night Soundtrack. Teenage Fanclub with De La Soul, Slayer & Ice T, Mudhoney & Sir Mix-A-Lot. Amazing.

...when you're finished reading and listening head on up to the Music Television section, I'll have added in a few choice rap/rock cuts from over the years.

Anyway, hope I haven't smothered my point but The Knux' new single is a whopper. Guitar based, groovy as you like, certainly one of the highlights of the year so far and indeed a "rap/rock" song if ever there were one. New album not yet titled, suppose we can only wait and see. The Fuck You E.P was one of my favourite releases of last year so expectations are riding high.

The Knux - She's So Up (Explicit!) by Consequence of Sound
Download


Also new music from Elbow, the band that can do no wrong. Before Christmas they premiered Lippy Kids, now they've released a second nugget from their forthcoming 5th, Build A Rocket Boys!, due out March 11th. What a band.



No comments:

Post a Comment